The National Trial Competition (NTC) was established in 1975 to encourage and strengthen students’ advocacy skills through quality competition and valuable interaction with members of the bench and bar. The program is co-sponsored by the American College of Trial Lawyers (ACTL) and is designed to expose law students to the nature of trial practice and to serve as a supplement to their education. It is the Texas Young Lawyers Association (TYLA) intent to provide a meaningful contribution to the development of future trial lawyers.
TYLA administers the competition, which attracts teams from more than 140 law schools and involves more than 1,000 law students each year.
The Kraft W. Eidman Award is presented by the American College of Trial Lawyers, and consists of $10,000 to the winning school and a plaque to each member of the winning team. This very generous contribution is endowed by Fulbright & Jaworski. Beck Redden LLP presents a $5,000 award to the second place team, and each semifinalist team is awarded $1,500 by Polsinelli PC. The Best Oral Advocate is awarded the George A. Spiegelberg Award, donated by Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson. The Hon. Lewis F. Powell medallion is presented annually to each regional finalist in the National Trial Competition, as a tribute to the accomplishments of those individuals.
The 2020 NTC finals will be held in Fort Worth, TX, April 1-5, 2020.
The link below reflects all ABA-accredited law schools in each of the 15 regions. This is not a list of schools registered for the competition, but a list of schools that are eligible to compete in each region. The regional competition hosts and dates of the are listed in red.
REGIONAL PROBLEM RELEASED (linked below)
- Regional Problem – Posted and emailed to participating schools Nov. 20, 2019
- Important Dates
- Registration Form (Fill-in PDF Form) – Posted and emailed to schools Sept. 27, 2019
- Registration Form (PDF Form)
- Regional Host Contact Info and Competition Dates – (also see NTC Regional Breakdown) UPDATED Nov. 22, 2019
- 2019-2020 Competition Rules – UPDATED and Posted Sept. 27, 2019
- 2019-2020 Host Handbook (and Appendix) – posted Oct. 9, 2019
- Please click here to view the email that was sent out to law schools on August 13, 2019. (If you did not receive the email and wish to be added to our list, please send an email to email@example.com.)
Intra-School Competition Materials
Although the method used to select your school’s team(s) is left to you, we recommend that an intra school competition be used to choose the regional participants. To help you with your intra-school competition, we have included materials used at the regional and national levels.
- Master Scoring Ballot for Preliminary Rounds
- NTC Official Scoring Ballot and Scoring Criteria
- Guidelines for NTC Judges
- Bailiffs’ Guidelines and Instruction Sheet
- Bailiffs’ Time Keeping Sheet (optional)