The National Trial Competition (NTC) was established in 1975 to encourage and strengthen students’ advocacy skills through quality competition and valuable interaction with members of the bench and bar. The program is co-sponsored by the American College of Trial Lawyers (ACTL) and is designed to expose law students to the nature of trial practice and to serve as a supplement to their education. It is the Texas Young Lawyers Association (TYLA) intent to provide a meaningful contribution to the development of future trial lawyers.
TYLA administers the competition, which attracts teams from more than 140 law schools and involves more than 1,000 law students each year.
The Kraft W. Eidman Award is presented by the American College of Trial Lawyers, and consists of $10,000 to the winning school and a plaque to each member of the winning team. This very generous contribution is endowed by Fulbright & Jaworski. Beck Redden LLP presents a $5,000 award to the second place team, and each semifinalist team is awarded $1,500 by Polsinelli PC. The Best Oral Advocate is awarded the George A. Spiegelberg Award, donated by Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson. The Hon. Lewis F. Powell medallion is presented annually to each regional finalist in the National Trial Competition, as a tribute to the accomplishments of those individuals.
2021 National Competition
Congratulations to the 2021 NTC Champion Team 129: University of California-Los Angeles! Please click here to view the complete results.
- NTC Schedule
- NTC Rules UPDATED – click here. – UPDATED FOR THE FINALS – March 5, 2021
- Important Dates, please click here.
- Ten Tips for Trial by Zoom
For updates, please follow us on Facebook
Information for Regional Hosts
Click here to download the revised Regional Problem. Please note that this reflects the changes outlined in the previous correspondence (below). Posted January 21, 2021 and emailed out to all participating schools.
Click here to read the revisions and/or stipulations to the 2021 NTC Regional Problem – EMAILED Jan. 15, 2021
- Regional Problem and Exhibits to be downloaded:
- Taylor v. Big City Electric (compressed PDF) – click here.
- Exhibit 3 (audio file) – click here.
- Exhibit 7 (video file) – click here. Click here to download the file.
- Exhibit 28 (audio file) – click here.
2020-2021 Registration Materials
To register online, please click here. (REGISTRATION IS CLOSED)
To pay online by credit card, please click here.
NTC Regional Competitions will be held VIRTUAL beginning in February 2021. All teams must provide two witnesses. The witnesses will be added to a pool of witnesses and will not witness for your school.
- 2020-2021 Host Handbook for virtual regional competitions – click here.
Witness, Judge, and Bailiff Instruction Videos – Please use the links below to the instructional videos for each region to instruct your volunteer witnesses, judges and bailiffs. We recommend all hosts watch the videos as well to be aware of the instructions in case of a need for clarification or a protest.
- Link to view or download Witnesses Instructional Video
- Link to view or download Judges Instructional Video
- Link to view or download Bailiffs Instructional Video
Intra-School Competition Materials
Although the method used to select your school’s team(s) is left to you, we recommend that an intra school competition be used to choose the regional participants. To help you with your intra-school competition, we have included materials used at the regional and national levels.
- Master Scoring Ballot for Preliminary Rounds
- NTC Official Scoring Ballot and Scoring Criteria
- Guidelines for NTC Judges
- Bailiffs’ Guidelines and Instruction Sheet
- Bailiffs’ Time Keeping Sheet (optional)