The National Trial Competition (NTC) was established in 1975 to encourage and strengthen students’ advocacy skills through quality competition and valuable interaction with members of the bench and bar. The program is co-sponsored by the American College of Trial Lawyers (ACTL) and is designed to expose law students to the nature of trial practice and to serve as a supplement to their education. It is the Texas Young Lawyers Association (TYLA) intent to provide a meaningful contribution to the development of future trial lawyers.
TYLA administers the competition, which attracts teams from more than 140 law schools and involves more than 1,000 law students each year.
The Kraft W. Eidman Award is presented by the American College of Trial Lawyers, and consists of $10,000 to the winning school and a plaque to each member of the winning team. This very generous contribution is endowed by Fulbright & Jaworski. Beck Redden LLP presents a $5,000 award to the second place team, and each semifinalist team is awarded $1,500 by Polsinelli PC. The Best Oral Advocate is awarded the George A. Spiegelberg Award, donated by Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson. The Hon. Lewis F. Powell medallion is presented annually to each regional finalist in the National Trial Competition, as a tribute to the accomplishments of those individuals.
The finals for the National Trial Competition were held in San Antonio, TX, March 27-31, 2019.
Congratulations to The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law (NTC Team 13)
Team Members: Jennifer Brooker and Vania Smith
Coaches: Lindsey Mervis and John Sharifi
Click here for a full list of the results.
- Competition Program
- Advancing Schools
- 2019 NTC FINAL PROBLEM – posted Feb. 28, 2019
Audio Recording Exhibit
- Clarifications Email – emailed and posted March 15, 2019
- Important Dates– posted Sept. 28, 2018
- Competition Rules– updated Sept. 28, 2018
Beginning with the 2019 NTC Regional Competitions, the NTC committee has realigned the regions. Please see below.
NTC Regional Breakdown and Host Information (PDF) – updated Oct. 5, 2018
The link above reflects all ABA-accredited law schools in each of the 15 regions. This is not a list of schools registered; only a list of schools that are eligible to compete in each region. If you do not see your school listed please contact the NTC Coordinator. The Regional Hosts are in bold.
REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED.
- FINAL REGIONAL PROBLEM AS OF JAN. 18 – posted January 22, 2019
- Stipulations and Clarification emails from Dec. 22-Jan. 18
- Important Dates – posted Sept. 28, 2018
- Competition Rules – updated Sept. 28, 2018
- Regional Host Contact Info and Competition Dates – updated and posted Oct. 8, 2019 (also see NTC Regional Breakdown above)
- Host Handbook (and Appendix) – posted Sept. 28, 2018
- Registration Form – Posted and emailed to schools Sept. 28, 2018. Please contact the NTC Coordinator if you would like the form emailed to you.
Intra-School Competition Materials
Although the method used to select your school’s team(s) is left to you, we recommend that an intra school competition be used to choose the regional participants. To help you with your intra-school competition, we have included materials used at the regional and national levels.
- Master Scoring Ballot for Preliminary Rounds
- NTC Official Scoring Ballot
- Scoring Criteria
- Judges’ Instructions
- Bailiffs’ Guidelines and Instruction Sheet
- Bailiffs’ Time Keeping Sheet